Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year, New Fear.

This is it. The end of an era, the turning of a page, the start of a season…
The New Year. 

In recollection, 2013 has shaped up to be a pretty eventful year for me: three successful semesters at Brigham Young University, a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Europe, a big move across town, new found hobbies, a few flings…the opportunities this year presented were endless. But for some strange reason, the conclusion of 2013 still leaves me unsatisifed, thirsting for something more. More wanderlust, more intelligence, more culture, more understanding, more peace, more self-discipline, more confidence…more everything. Pretty overwhelming. How am I to knock out all of these cravings with a realistic resolution? Impossible. 

The very wise Eleanor Roosevelt once said, 
"Do one thing every day that scares you."

Eleanor knew. She knew that the only way to grow in life is to abandon comfort zones. And I absolutely agree with Ms. Roosevelt. I have found that I personally work best when I am put under the pressure of uncomfortable situations. Even as the self-improving, nit-picking, over-achieving perfectionist that I am, I also claim to be a seeker of thrills. Thus, I figure, what better way to begin a new year than with resolutions based on my biggest fears? 

I have set out to conquer 52 fears in 52 weeks.

I began by breaking down a few of my basic fears in different aspects of my life: physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. As I wrote down my list of 52 fears, I made sure that conquering each would better me as a person. I also created some ground rules for myself:
-The fears can be conquered in any order.
-I must do one fear each week. I cannot skip weeks and make up fears later.
-I must have my fears conquered and posted every Sunday night.
-Depending on circumstances, fears may be added or modified.

My 2014 Year of Fear List is as follows:

  1. sit in the bar section of a restaurant (drinking a Shirley Temple, do karaoke, etc)
  2. talk to a homeless person
  3. sky dive (again)
  4. drive stick shift (or try)
  5. hold a snake
  6. talk to a really cute boy
  7. get to know someone in each of my classes
  8. give a presentation on research
  9. speak in church
  10. enter some kind of competition
  11. make a huge purchase
  12. go to dinner and a movie alone
  13. confront an ex-boyfriend
  14. make a very opinionated statement in public (in a classroom, in a relationship, etc)
  15. play guitar or sing in front of a crowd (with at least a few strangers in it)
  16. run a marathon
  17. get acupuncture
  18. ask a boy out (be forward enough to the make plans)
  19. move to a place where I don't know many people 
  20. go hang-gliding
  21. get ice cream from the ice cream man (always been a fear)
  22. go on a spontaneous trip
  23. hike Angel's Landing in Zion
  24. river raft
  25. swim with an ocean animal
  26. get a new job
  27. teach a lesson in church
  28. learn a language
  29. eat es cargo
  30. bear testimony in church
  31. live on $30 or less for one week
  32. survive a whole week without a phone 
  33. invite a stranger over for dinner 
  34. knock on doors to meet people
  35. give away a Book of Mormon
  36. initiate an emotional conversation (break up, deep relationship conversation, etc)
  37. be vegan/vegetarian/paleo/gluten-free for one week
  38. get legs waxed
  39. have a true fast sunday (not eat for a full 24 hours: 3 meals)
  40. share an awkward moment with a stranger
  41. compliment a stranger every day for one week
  42. put myself in a claustrophobic situation
  43. go to a bee farm
  44. do a backflip
  45. start writing a novel
  46. ask forgiveness from someone
  47. get a concealed weapons license
  48. cleverly give away my phone number to a boy 
  49. learn how to partner dance (country, salsa, etc)
  50. no makeup for a week
  51. make a big decision 
  52. get a New Year's kiss next year
Bonuses… More fears I think of through the journey...
shark diving
trapeze artist/aerial class
Alcohol Anonymous meeting
Learn to fly a plane
Bungee jumping
Alcatraz Tour

365 days. 52 weeks. 52 fears. 1 girl. 

I have the feeling that something big is in store for me in 2014. 


Stay tuned for the reveal of my first fear post this Sunday… until then, 
Happy New Year, Ya'll.

-C


This project was inspired by author Noelle Hancock in her memoir, My Year With Eleanor. And of course, fear inspiration from my dear friend Anna Ence.

4 comments:

  1. You are so awesome! Seriously, can't wait to hear slash read about your accomplishments!!!

    Also I LOVE LOVE LOVE that book. Such a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is this Court !! Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete