Monday, April 21, 2014

Fear # 17: Acupuncture.

Belonephobia (n). fear of needles.

About 10% of the human population suffers from severe belonephobia - the fear of needles. Personally, I never thought belonephobia had an effect on me… That is, until I imagined myself undergoing an acupuncture procedure. Needles, needles, everywhere. For this week's fear, I was determined to be a human pin cushion. Eeeeek, acupuncture! 

My mother was my sidekick for this experience. She must have told the acupuncturists that this was a fear of mine, because one asked through his thick accent: "You chicken?"... I laughed pitifully. The acupuncturists were Chinese, and this made me feel pretty safe. After all, acupuncture is an ancient Chinese medicine technique... Patients usually get acupuncture to fix real health problems: injuries, diseases, weight loss, mental health issues… You name it, they poke it. And many people swear by it. I might swear too, just in a different way…


I waited on the table in painful wonder as the acupuncturist took my information. "You stress out?" - she asked while checking my heart rate, noting that I wrote down anxiety as my "disease". Well yes, lady. My stress level may be a bit high while I lay here, imagining needles sticking out of my body. She could tell I was tense, and promised she would show me the procedure in my arm first. I didn't think that would help at all, but I gave her a weak smile anyway. I knew there was no turning back. 


She took one needle out of the package (what did I get myself into?)... Small yet long (how far will this thing go in?)... Placed it against my skin (brace yourself)... and pop! (what just happened?)... It was in! No pinch, no flinch, I felt nothing. Nothing at all! What….


Within ten minutes, needles were sticking out of my hands, arms, feet, face, and top of my head. The needles in my forehead were hooked up to an electronic device that would pulse the needles every few seconds. It was trippy. Insane. Surreal. I felt so awesome and yet still so terrified, I couldn't let myself relax. 





It is hard for me to describe all of the emotions that I felt throughout this acupuncture session… Have you ever had a shot before? You know the feeling of anticipation you get - your body tenses up, your eyes squint shut, your heart skips a beat, your stomach fills with butterflies, your blood rushes to your dizzy head - before the nurse pokes you? Well, I felt that with every needle. But although these responses came naturally, the feeling was not necessary, because these needles were basically weightless. After a few minutes, I shut my eyes and forgot about the needles entirely. I only felt the needles sticking out of me when I opened my eyes. It was like I had to see it to believe it; what a crazy phenomenon. 

Fear is pain arising from the anticipation of evil. -Aristotle

Honestly, thinking about those needles sticking out at random places still makes me sick to my stomach. Bleh. But what a strange and unforgettable experience! I am still not sure I believe in the powers of acupuncture yet, but I would definitely be willing to give it another shot if I ever am diagnosed with a true "disease". 


Plus, they gave us "happy pills". Who doesn't want an extra dose of happy?

Wow. Another fear down, many more to come! So, tell me. What are you willing to go through to cure your fears? Thanks for following, until next week…
-Court


No comments:

Post a Comment