Sunday, May 4, 2014

Fear #23: Hike Angels Landing.

Because I was born and raised in St. George, Utah, one may assume that I have taken advantage of all things unique to Southern Utah's culture. Surprisingly, even after twenty-two years of living with red rock in my backyard, I have never set foot in Zion National Park. What a shame. People travel from all over the world to experience the beauty of Zion; I lived down the street and had never even bothered! How could I call myself a true St. Georgian? Until this weekend, I honestly could not claim my own hometown! So I thought, what better way to be initiated into Zion than by knocking out a fear, and taking the journey of its most terrifying, deadly, and strenuous hike? That's right… I'm talking about a little place called Angels Landing


Angels Landing. Ever heard of it? Its name is familiar to breaking news stories, as six people in the past ten years have fallen to their death from the 5,790-foot drop. Steep switchbacks, dizzying heights, slippery rock, and narrow passageways are lined with chain ropes hooked into the mountain side to help climbers hold on for dear life. For years I had heard about this risky hike, but I never could have imagined what would be coming. I looked to the mountain in the sky and wondered about the hike ahead… It honestly didn't look all that bad. If old people with hiking sticks could do it, so could I! Little did I know, hiking this stairway to heaven was about to heighten my fears - literally.


We set out at dawn. I was accompanied by my younger siblings, Taylor and Tyler, and my friend Sam. Sam mentioned he had a fear of heights, and yet he previously braved Angels Landing without any problems. I felt confident going into the hike, as I normally live for higher grounds... Skydiving, airplane rides, and ferris wheels are just a few of my favorite things. But Angels Landing brought out a new aspect to my fear of heights, and soon I realized that it was the fear of having no control…


… and the fear of watching my loved ones fall to their death. 


Not kidding. Following the rugged, loose, winding path around the mountain's skinny spine was not the challenge. Looking beyond a cliff to the small world below was not even the biggest challenge. The challenge was allowing my siblings to peer over the ledge...watching Sam take one hand off the chains to snap a picture…and imagining my helplessness if one of them were to take a fall. I felt completely in control of myself; and completely out of control of them. Until we reached flat ground at the mountain top, I had a constant wrinkle between my eyebrows, and let out a concerned whine when any of them neared an edge. Not for the faint of heart.

But. Without any casualties… We made it!


And it was beautiful.


I am not afraid of heights…I'm afraid of falling.
-unknown

I gained a lot of perspective up in those clouds. Sometimes a wicked climb is worth the fresh air and clear view. So. Go ahead, get high! (Naturally…) Keep pushing yourself, and don't you dare look down.

Until next week!

-Court

No comments:

Post a Comment