Sunday, September 28, 2014

Fear # 20: Hang-Gliding.

Nervited  /nerv'itid/ adjective: The feeling that comes before one commits a life-threatening act; a combination of nervous and excited. (ex: I cannot believe I am about to jump off a cliff and hope to fly - I am so freaking NERVITED right now!)

A few years ago I took a trip to Hawaii with my girl friends. The biggest highlight of that trip, and basically the highlight of my life, was skydiving along the coast of Oahu. Thirty seconds of pure, uninterrupted free fall was pretty ridiculous - the feeling is still indescribable and completely surreal. Hang-gliding, on the other hand, is a bit more realistic: being much closer to the ground, you can feel the wind changing the unpredictable course of your flight; and rather than being pushed out of a plane, you have to run off of a cliff, praying that the wind catches your wings just right. The unrealistic blur of earth you float to while skydiving is nothing compared to the rocky, dangerous, detailed earth you swoop over while hang-gliding.

And personally, that is why I think hang-gliding is actually scarier than skydiving.

Way back in April, I bought a Groupon for hang-gliding with Birdman Academy, and I knew this would be the ultimate fear to face. Over the next couple of months, braving this fear proved to be more difficult than I had bargained for... Hang-gliding and paragliding accidents went through the roof. With every news report of another accident, another injury, another death - my bravery wavered. My family begged me not to risk injuring myself with such an idiotic fear. But after five long months of chickening out, I devoted myself to the dive. I signed up to go hang-gliding with Kevin from Birdman Academy.



September 16, 9:00 AM: The morning came. Sam accompanied me to the launch site, and we were both psyched out of our MINDS. When we finally found Kevin, we noticed that he fit the profile perfectly: tall and thin, short shorts with hairy legs, and an extreme (and slightly crazy) misdemeanor. We followed Kevin and his dog/sidekick "Lieutenant Dangle" to the top of the mountain. The weather was perfect, the view was brilliant, and the feat before us was straight stupid. I looked over at Sam's blank face and asked what he was thinking about. His response mirrored my thoughts exactly: "I'm not thinking right now...I'm just...existing."



As we sat there "just existing", I deeply pondered my sanity. An endless supply of "what if" situations crossed my mind while waiting for my turn. In efforts to brush off the fatal thoughts flashing through my mind, I paced the hilltop, cracked jokes, and focused on getting pumped. Despite the sleepless night before, I couldn't rest until it was my turn to take the leap of faith. But after three hours of building up courage, Kevin told us that things weren't looking up. The wind had died down, and he only goes by "Mother Nature's time schedule". 
I was crushed. 80 bucks poorer, and suffering through the emotional roller coaster with nothing to show for it? Over the next couple of weeks I continued to make appointments, but the weather was not cooperating. It was as if Mother Nature was saying: "Don't do this, Courtney. I'm trying to protect you, and you're just an idiot if you keep trying."


Well, finally I stuck it to Mother Nature. During my last week of work, I decided to play hooky, strap on a helmet, and take my last chance at hang-gliding. We got to the top and peered over the edge, and this time the drop didn't seem so intimidating. I knew I was ready.

While I was strapping into my harness, Kevin gave me some last-minute instructions. (I wish you could hear me read this next part, because I have mastered the Kevin impersonation. Please read the following in your best California surfer-bro voice):


"Rule number one: Hold on to me tight. But not like a bear hug, don't squeeze me, alright?!" (As he squeezes me awkwardly).
"Rule number 2: When I tell you to run, you run until you can't run no more." 
"Rule number 3: Do. Not. Touch. The. Glider. You touch the glider, I'll unstrap you and wave goodbye as I watch you fall to your death." (As he screams and waves). 
"Bonus rule!!! Gotta tell me if you feel funny, and don't blow chunks on me, alright?"

We walked toward the edge of the cliff, and I was still confused on how this was all going down. Kevin put his finger in the air to feel the wind, leaned one way, and then the other. Five seconds later... "Ready? Run!" We're running like freaking maniacs towards the great unknown! We get closer and closer, and then I hear him scream, "Launching!!!"



And just like that, we were flying. FLYING! We swooped, we soared, we swerved... The view was unbelievable, I could see every detail of the whole valley. My eyes were watering, my jaw was gaped wide open, and I was in absolute awe. It was like nothing I have ever experienced. I felt so FREEEEE!!!!




"Rather be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground." -Kevin the Birdman

Aint that the truth. From this fear, I learned one major life lesson... You can't plan anything in life. Seriously though, the winds of life are so fickle. I am the world's biggest planner, and I am slowly learning that I cannot depend on my own plans. God has different ambitions in store for us, and only He can see a perspective higher than our own.

My heartbeat is still racing from this experience, and I loved every second of the plunge. What a RUSH.

Video is on the way! Thanks for reading, until the next fear...

-Court



No comments:

Post a Comment